Wednesday, 27 August 2014

The State of Things

Well, my is kitchen still a disaster.

So. Many. Doors.

So. Many. Coats

The process has been extremely delayed due to a number of things. Paint is such a mess to take out each night, clean up and get to bed at a decent time. Then Ace surprised me Thursday and came home late that night. So Friday was work, then out to dinner and off to a friends house. Saturday was yard work and tons and tons of sanding. It took 8 hours to do 9 doors. The paint was just falling off so it took a lot of sanding to get things evened out. After using an 80 grit to get the paint off, I then used a sanding block to further even things out. I then had to clean the doors and fill in the hardware holes. That took two fills, on each side, sanding between and after. I didn't get to work as late as I would have like since Ace was home and had an early flight the next morning. Sunday rolled around and a girlfriend, who's husband is recently deployed, invited Goose and I to the playground. She has a 3 month old and a 4 year old. We spent quite a bit of time at the park and grabbed lunch. I made it home 3 hours later and got Goose down for a nap and hit the doors again.

I screwed up big time. I wanted to do magnetic and chalk paint on the inside of the upper cabinet doors. I shook the can for a good 5 minutes and got to work. I noticed that they were still very sticky after the recommended drying time. I re-read the can and stuck a stirrer inside and realized I hadn't broken up the materials that had settled in the bottom of the can. My hour effort of painting was wasted. I started over, got two coats done and before I knew it, it was time for dinner, bath and bedtime.

I have two coats of chalk on the backs left and the entire fronts left to do. My house looks like a bomb went off. There are dry paint brushes, tools, screws, drawers laying around. The counter and walls are still taped off and we are eating from paper plates. I can barely make it to the Kuerig. I need my kitchen back ASAP!

It is a long weekend coming up and Goose is with his dad. I am hoping to knock out the rest of it or at least have it all drying by Monday.

I am starting to think that hiring someone was the better way to go for my own sanity :)

No comments:

Post a Comment